Packing Your Storage Unit
July 28th, 2022
Many people utilize self-storage facilities for a variety of reasons, such as moving to a new house or because their present home does not have adequate storage. Whatever the cause, self-storage units should be carefully packed to minimize the risk of damage during storage. Here are some pointers from Eagle Guard Storage about how to properly pack a self-storage facility so it may be used at a later date.
1. Label all boxes with the contents inside and the corresponding room they belong in. This will make unpacking much easier and prevent you from having to search through all of the boxes for one specific item.
2. Be sure to use packing materials that are durable and will not break down over time, such as plastic wrap, bubble wrap, and Styrofoam peanuts.
3. Place heavier items on the bottom of the storage unit and lighter items on top to prevent items from toppling over and breaking.
4. Fill all empty spaces in the storage unit with packing material to prevent items from shifting during transport.
5. Disassemble any furniture that will be going into storage and wrap each piece individually. This will protect the furniture from scratches and damage.
6. If you have any valuable items that you will be storing, such as jewelry or important documents, be sure to pack them in a safe and secure manner to prevent them from being lost or stolen.
7. If you have any fragile items, such as dishes or glassware, be sure to pack them in a way that will prevent them from breaking during the move.
Eagle Guard Storage suggests organizing your unit prior to placing items inside. A good example of this is to separate items with cardboard boxes or plastic totes. This will make it simpler to find what you are looking for when moving time comes or swapping out seasonal items. To make your life easier later ensure you are labeling all belongings that will be in your self storage unit. You can even utilize stickers to do this if you would prefer something other than writing out each box’s contents on the outside.
Once your unit is organized, place heavier boxes and containers on the bottom. You can also stay organized by placing similar items close together such as dining room chairs and a china cabinet next to each other rather than stacking them.
Ensure you utilize all of your storage unit space! You can do this by packing your unit evenly with no large gaps between boxes. This will ensure nothing falls over and that you make the most of your unit.
The boxes and containers you choose to pack your unit with do matter as they can make a real difference when keeping your items in good condition. When you are using a self storage unit using plastic totes and cardboard boxes are the best options. Using containers such as garbage bags are not supportive and could easily tear or break open, letting your
belongings fall to the floor and create a mess.
To use your self storage unit effectively it is best to start on a good note with packing your belongings in storage safe containers, and labeling your containers. When you pack your unit correctly it will make your life easier when unpacking your unit or accessing your belongings in your unit. Eagle Guard Storage hopes these tips help when you are getting ready to pack your storage unit. For more storage tips and tricks check out our other blogs. If you are ready to rent a unit give us a call or rent online today!